The Church of Saint Stephen
The Church of St. Stephen dates back to the XV century and has its origins in the Byzantine period. It was rebuilt in 1654 and then rebuilt in 1796. It has a simple single-spired façade in neoclassic architectural style, framed between two pilasters robust. Among entrance portal and rectangular window placed in axis, it is inserted an ovoid niche in which the Santo Stefano image is painted. In the retracted position stands the square bell tower of 1892, on top of which is placed a statuette of the saint. The interior, a nave with arris vault, is divided into three bays by six pillars, three on each side. In the apse it is present the main altar, made of stucco and Lecce stone, decorated with volutes, plant motifs and angelic heads. The church, where the first parish of the country from the late fifteenth century to the end of the sixteenth century, houses the statues of St. Stephen, Immaculate, of Our Lady of Sorrows and the dead Christ, placed in a glass coffin.
Source: Wikipedia - Picture by Lupiae
Via Roma, 82