The Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ

0.00 (0 votes)

Descrizione

The Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ was built between 1803 and 1820 to replace another sixteenth-century sacred temple. Originally, the site of the present church was occupied by a building of the second half of the XIII century, dedicated to San Salvatore, which was to form the Palatine Chapel of the castle. The façade, between two bell towers, it develops into two orders pilasters. On the lintel of the front door is placed the coat of arms of Taurisano. The interior, articulated on a Latin cross with a single aisle, has a cross cover entirely painted with festoons and arabesques. The nave and transept with their altars dedicated to Saint Lucia, St. Anthony of Padua, the Souls in Purgatory, in St. Vitus, the Mercy, the Holy Family, in St. Stephen proto-martyr and Our Lady of the Rosary. Its paintings come almost all the ancient parish. In correspondence of the arms rises a dome with a circular base, externally covered with polychrome glazed tiles. The chancel houses the altar in Lecce stone and the choir, surmounted by a choir on which a pipe organ is set. To the left is the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament of the Eucharist, whose apse wall is a picture of Christ between two crowds of Serafini prone, preceded by St. Francis of Assisi and St. Domenic of Guzmán.

Source: Wikipedia - Picture by Lupiae

LOCATION

Taurisano, Lecce
Piazza Castello, 2

Rating

Voto

Users' reviews

Add review